OS Runners are affiliated to and funded by the CSSC and we take part in several of their excellent events each year.
Anyone working for the OS (plus immediate family members) can become a member. Membership comes with many benefits:
- English Heritage Corporate Membership – Present your CSSC card at EH sites included in the programme to gain free entry for yourself, one other adult and accompanying children (max 6).
- Claim back up to £40 on race entry fees: for races between £10.00 to £20.00 – 100% of fee awarded, for those from £20.00 upwards – £20.00 awarded.
- National subsidies – The CSSC subsidise you in certain non-CSSC events and for coach, umpire or referee training costs towards accredited sport training.
- Historic Royal Palaces – Download your voucher from CSSC’s website in exchange for tickets and present together with your CSSC membership card and photo ID to gain free entry into these amazing palaces
- Fabulous savings for members – Shop with CSSC through our My Savings+ discount scheme and CSSC’s Online shop. Gain access to hundreds of local and national offers, family days out, dining, gym membership.
- The Free My Active App provides the support, rewards and flexibility you need to get active in your own time. Start collecting points from your daily steps and gym visits, as well as with CSSC activities.
- You can attend any CSSC events. These include, running races, plus a huge range of activities from hill walking and shopping days to theatre trips, cinema discounts and cookery schools.
- Membership is only £3.95/month (£47.40/year).
The Civil Service Athletics Club (CSAA) provide events for CSSC members throughout the year. The below are the 4 CSAA running events that OS Runners normally attend:
CSAA Road Relays – Finsbury Park (normally March)
This is the perfect start for anyone who is interested in doing a more competitive race. Teams are made up of 4 Men or 3 Women and each member completes a 2.7 mile course made up of two laps. It’s a great team atmosphere with the potential of cheering on your team mates as they come through for the first lap and the finish.
CSAA 10K Championships – Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park or Battersea Park (normally April)
For those who love 10K running, this is a well attended easy 10K either 4 laps around Battersea park or 3 around QEOP. In the past OS Runners have taken up to 30 people, and we often stop off for a quick social afterwards in Hampton Wick when we are at QEOP!
CSAA XC Championships – Parliament Hill, Hampstead Heath (normally October)
More suited to those who love running off the road, this is a 3 lap course heading up Parliament Hill and around Hampstead Heath. Conditions range from solid to squelchy!
CSAA Open and Veteran Track and Field Championships (Normally September)
Normally held at different locations each year, this is perfect for anyone who wants to give their athletics a go.
For well attended events, OSR will handle any claims and entries, but there are plenty of events throughout the year that can be attended as an individual. For these it is possible to claim back from the CSSC under the national travel policy: